Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Long Weekend Workouts

Last Friday if you had asked me how many open water swims I had done this summer I would have said "zero".

Today, if you ask me, I can proudly say "three!".

Last Friday if you had asked me when was the last time I ran three days in a row I would have said "I have no idea. It's been a few years at least."

Today, if you ask me, I would say "this past weekend" and go on for a few minutes about how crazy that is for me.

Last Friday if you had asked me when was the last weekend I didn't play at least one round of golf I would have said "April?"

Today, if you ask me, I would say "this past weekend" and made a sad face.

I ran hills on Thursday morning and planned to run 12k on Saturday. An unexpected and very brisk 7k run happened on Friday morning. Not enough to let me call it my long run day but enough that, combined with the hills the day before, made me doubt my ability to run 5k on Saturday, let alone 12k. I didn't do 12 but I did do 10k and, while my legs were undoubtedly tired, they held up nicely.

I had hardly walked in after my long run when my phone rang. My sister was in town and wanted to know if I would help her practice for an upcoming open water race she was doing. Sure. I showered, ate and drove to meet her. We hopped in the water and, for the first time this year, I swam where I couldn't see the bottom. It was wonderful.

We did it again on Sunday and again on Monday.

Golf, unfortunately, took a back seat. There was a tournament at our club which meant we couldn't play our regular weekend games. So I haven't touched a club in a week. Sadness.

Having lots of interests is a wonderful thing but it can be challenging at times to fit in all the things I enjoy doing as much as I enjoy doing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment