Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Tri Limbo

People keep asking me what triathlons I'm doing this summer.

I'm not sure what to say to them.

As much as I love cool spring weather and as much as I prefer 12 degrees to 28 degrees when it comes to running temps, our freezing winter and less than balmy spring have meant that the water temperatures are taking their sweet ol' time warming up.

Last year, we had a super early and unusually warm spring. Despite the warm temperatures we didn't get into the canal for open water swimming until June and, even then, it was breathtakingly cold.

This year, I'm not sure what's going to happen.

The first triathlon on my radar is Welland which is in the middle of June. At this rate, the water will still be so cold that the swim will be wetsuit mandatory.

And no, Jeff, I have not yet jumped on the wetsuit bandwagon.

There is a triathlon in Toronto in early July but it's in Lake Ontario. Last year I swam in Lake Ontario near Toronto in August and it was still agonizingly cold.

I feel like I'm in a weird sort of triathlon limbo.

I'm keeping up with my swimming, cycling and running. All three are going well. I could do a triathlon tomorrow if I needed to.

And yet I have no firm plans lined up for what my tri season will actually look like. After last summer's über-organized triathlon schedule, it's bizarre to be training but not really sure what I'm training for.

It's also kinda freeing.

I'm just enjoying the activities for what they are and am not at all worried about the details.

It's kinda nice to be honest.

1 comment: