Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Personal Support Team

I ran 18k on Saturday morning.

In shorts!!!

Afterwards, I stretched in the sunshine on the back deck and watched a robin hopping around in the garden looking for nest-building supplies.

It really does not get any better than that.

Oh wait, it does.

I ran 18k on Saturday morning.

I headed off to the country roads. I saw the ditches and rivers swollen with spring runoff. I saw the red buds on the trees and the tiny flowers blooming underneath. I heard the birds singing with the same happiness I felt as my body remembered the joy of running in the sunshine.

For the first hour, I was completely alone. Alone in my thoughts with only the sound of my feet to keep me company.

And then exactly halfway through my 18k run, a familiar black car approached and slowed to a stop a few feet ahead of me.

Doug, my support team and my cheerleader, had arrived. With my water and my Nuun. With my glucometer, salt tablets, edisks and snacks. With a smile and a twinkle in his eye.

"How's it going baby? You look good. Feeling ok?"

If that doesn't sound good an hour from home, I don't know what does.

He was there at 9k for my big pit stop and blood sugar check. He was there at 12k and again at 15k for a quick water break.

And with a wave and a last few words of encouragement, he was off, leaving me alone for the last 3k home.

I have run 18k alone many times. I could have run 18k alone this time too. I know what I need to bring with me to be self-sufficient and I am happy to do it.

Every once in a while though, it sure feels nice to be taken care of.

Especially by someone with such a nice smile!

1 comment: