Tuesday, September 17, 2013

What to Wear? What to Wear?

Summer and Fall have been duking it out. We all know who is going to win the battle but Summer is not taking the end of its reign lying down. 

Which means that last week we experienced temperatures that were in the high thirties followed by days that were as cold as 8 degrees. Plus a lot of wind of course. Oh, and tons of rain. And sunshine. 

Friday night, Doug and I were in a golf event together. It was cold, windy and spitting rain. I wore my thin golf pants, a long sleeved shirt, a sweatshirt, a down vest and a rain jacket. By the end I had taken my jacket off but everything else remained. 

On Saturday morning, it was 8 degrees and windy. I dressed for my run in shorts, a thin long-sleeved shirt, a light vest and a running hat. Doug dressed for his run in pants, a long-sleeved shirt and a jacket. 

I was a little too warm for most of my run but grateful for the vest when the wind picked up. Doug said he was fairly comfortable on his run. 

On Sunday morning, it was 11 degrees. This time we were going cycling. If there is one thing I've learned from running and cycling outdoors in Canada, it's that cycling in cold weather makes it feel colder. Running makes it feel warmer. It has everything to do with speed and wind. 

So I dressed with that in mind. I pulled on my running pants with my cycling shorts over top. I put on a long-sleeved shirt with my short-sleeved cycling jersey over top. 

Doug came downstairs in shorts and a long-sleeved shirt. 

We both looked at each other. I second-guessed my clothing choices. I'm not sure if he second-guessed his but neither of us changed our outfit. I figured that one of us was going to be really uncomfortable. 

We met up with the rest of our cycling group. All but one was in shorts. Only a few even had long sleeves. Doug fit right in. I looked like I was dressed for an unexpected snow-storm. 

I was comfortable, if a little on the warm side during the steep uphill climbs. Everyone else seemed pretty comfortable too. 

Winter and summer are pretty easy to deal with as an athlete. It's these shoulder seasons that leave me second-guessing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment