Thursday, June 20, 2013

Sprint Triathlon Basal Profile - Draft

Alright folks, I've worked out a rough draft for my race day basal profile. I have never tackled a race day like this before and I'm excited to see how it works out.

First, the logic behind the numbers.

1. I want to eat breakfast 3 hours before the race so that most of the bolus insulin is out of my system by race time.

2. I want to be able to have a GU gel (20 carbs) without bolusing before the swim and again before the run.

3. I want to avoid lows at all cost but I also want to avoid the highs I was plagued with during each triathlon last summer.

I am planning to create a race day basal profile that I will start on race day and my basal rates will change at preset times so I don't have to remember to do it myself in the heat of the moment.

Here is the race day timeline based on estimated finish times of the swim, bike and run:

5:30am breakfast
8:30am swim start (have a GU right before the swim)
9:00am bike start
10:15am run start (have second GU in transition zone before the run)
11:00am race finished

Here's the proposed basal profile and rationale

7:00am 60% basal rate - to prevent lows during the swim and the bike
8:30am - have a GU gel immediately before the start of the swim
8:45am 120% basal rate (to counteract the GU and the high that I would most likely have after the short swim)
9:00am 60% basal rate (to prepare for the run)
10:15am second GU gel
10:45am 120% basal rate - to prevent the post-race spike in blood sugar and to help deal with the GU
11:30am 50% basal rate - to prevent the lows I have in the hours after the race
2:30pm 100% basal rate - return to my regular basal profile

I may tweak this a bit more before race day. I want to factor in the delicious chocolate milk that they serve at the finish line but I'm not sure if I should adjust my basal rate in anticipation or just bolus for it.

I have no idea if this plan will make for a perfect BG race or make for three hours of this guy:

Meet the crazy diabetes rabbit

The only way to know is to try it. I promise that I'll check my blood sugar before, during and after. I promise that I'll carry plenty of emergency carbs with me and I won't have the GUs if I'm high. 

And I promise to keep you all posted on how it went so we can all continue to learn from each other. 

Warning: your diabetes may vary and I am not a doctor. Play with your basal profiles at your own risk. 

2 comments:

  1. Good luck, and tell us how it works!

    I tend to be minimalist and go with one basal rate for the entire thing starting an hour beforehand, but then I'm not introducing factors like breakfast. And I have to detach from the pump. And I do start out a bit higher than I'd like. And... then there's that crazy rabbit, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.A fantastic presentation. Very open and informative.You have beautifully presented your thought in this blog post. Blogging Basal

    ReplyDelete