Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Time in the Kitchen

Sunday morning was busy with a gorgeous and hilly spring bike ride. Including a superfast trip down the Brock Hill (for those of you who live in Niagara you'll know the place) where I managed to keep fairly close to the rest of the group and gently used the brakes rather than my usual death grip.

Sunday after lunch we went to a friend's house to pinch some of their periwinkle ground-cover and then headed home and planted it in the cursed part of our yard where nothing else seems to grow. Fingers crossed that this hearty sun-loving plant takes hold.

Afterwards, I headed to the kitchen with three goals:
- whip up a wicked salad that I can keep in the fridge and turn into easy lunches.
- chop all ingredients so that we can make homemade pizza for dinner
- bake a batch of fruit and nut energy bites - a great recipe I discovered at Oh She Glows last year.

90 minutes later, the dishes were washed, the pizza was in the oven and I was sipping wine on the couch.

My salad was inspired by the amazing salads of Israel. A big bowl full of kohlrabi, red cabbage, carrots, celery, cucumber and red pepper. A ton of chopped cilantro and a can of chickpeas. Hearty, vitamin rich, tasty and so so good for you. Every morning I'll scoop a bunch into a container and, at work, I'll top it off with avocado or goat cheese and a simple dressing of olive oil and tamari. At home I'll mix up some tahini, olive oil and fresh-squeezed lemon into a traditional Israeli dressing.

The energy bites are delicious. They make a great mid-morning treat at work and are the perfect go-to snack for busy days and, I'm guessing, four-hour golf games. If you do decide to try the recipe - I have found that dried cherries work well and I like to trade half of the dates for dried figs. Lots of fun flavours in every bite.

My body always feels better when I eat well every day. And the easiest way to do that is to spend a bit of time on the weekend making healthy options to see me through the week. It's going to be a tasty one!

No comments:

Post a Comment