Monday, April 8, 2013

Calcium and other Deficiencies?

If you Google: type 1 diabetes vitamin deficiency, guess what comes up? 

Not exactly what I was looking for but I did learn that a deficiency in vitamin D might be linked to the development of Type 1 diabetes. 

Interesting but a little late for that particular tidbit of information. 

Then I tried: type 1 diabetic athlete deficiency and found out that there is a lot of information out there for people who coach type 1 athletes and a lot of reminders that the athletes are deficient in insulin.

Again, it might be helpful for other people but I know full well just how deficient I am in that department.  

Basically, I was just curious about whether having type 1 diabetes puts one at risk of being deficient in certain vitamins or minerals and figured I'd be able to get my answer in a few clicks of the mouse. 

Not so much. 

The reason for my sudden interest was my latest foot injury which, by the way, my massage therapist and I are hoping is simply a bruised 4th and 5th metatarsal. My foot injury got me thinking and here's how that train of thought played itself out. I was making a plan for how to take care of my foot when I began thinking of my shin splints and then my stress fracture and then wondering if stress fractures can be caused by not having enough calcium in my diet which lead to me wondering if I have enough calcium in my diet or, dammit, maybe I have enough for a non-type 1 but maybe type 1 diabetes somehow affects ones ability to absorb calcium. Bloody hell, if that's true I'm going to be really pissed off. Omigod, what if there are other vitamins that I am not getting enough of? What if I've been low in all of these things for years and didn't know it? What if diabetes is slowly eating away at my bones or my zinc levels or my vitamin B12. 

Arrgh! 

(and that's the thought process of someone who isn't a hypochondriac by nature)

That's when I decided to Google and discovered...nothing particularly helpful. Granted, I did stop my research after about 10 minutes because I was sitting at the curling club watching Doug's team fight their way to the finals and wanted to focus on the game. Still though, I was hoping to find a simple answer like: no, there's nothing to worry about or yes, you should take a multivitamin every day plus a calcium tablet before bed. 

Seriously though, I have no idea if having diabetes affects my ability to absorb calcium and whether my stress fracture is a result of that. Or whether my stress fracture was the result of increased training for my first marathon and whether all the calcium I get in my diet is the only thing that kept me running for as long as I was able to. 

Who knows? 

Well, the DOC might. You guys are a wealth of knowledge. Do YOU know if having Type 1 diabetes puts us at risk of any vitamin/mineral deficiencies? 

I take Vitamin D every day at the suggestion of my diabetes doctor. I take iron a few times a week because I always struggle with getting enough. Other than that, I rely on a fairly healthy and varied diet full of fruit, veggies, grains and meat...plus a heaping scoop of VEGA in my breakfast shake for good measure. 

1 comment:

  1. I bet it was hard to weed through all of the weird stuff about diabetes and vitamins.

    ReplyDelete