Thursday, November 22, 2012

Ants in my....

I dream a lot. Most nights I have, and remember at least for a few minutes after I wake up, all sorts of dreams. 

Most of them are just fun - like I'm traveling through Italy or making dinner. 

Some stretch reality a little bit - like I'm suddenly living in Tel Aviv with my sister. 

Others are high-blood sugar induced - like the time I dreamt that I was being attacked by fire breathing dragons

The dream I had the other night gave me the heebie-jeebies.

I dreamt that I had to check my blood sugar. I pricked my finger with the lancet and I squeezed to force a drop of blood out (which, let's be honest, is kinda heebie-jeebie worthy on its own). Instead of blood, I squeezed out a live ant. He popped out, fully formed and disgusting. 

I pricked another finger and squeezed out another ant. 

Everywhere I tried, ants began crawling out of my skin. 

I held out my hand and I could see them moving under the skin - this constant, rippling movement that covered both hands and moved up my arms. I woke up, thankfully, before I felt my face. Because the only thing worse than having ants in your fingers is having ants in your face. 

I check my blood sugar for real this time and I was perfectly normal. No high to explain the weird dream. 

Which means that I dreamt that I had ants in my fingers all by myself with no help from the blood sugar gods. 

My skin has been crawling ever since. 

2 comments:

  1. I turn to have strange dreams when I am low. I do not ever remember having dreams when I am high.

    ReplyDelete