Friday, February 3, 2012

My Promise

I write a lot about myself in this blog.

When I started back in January of 2011, I wasn't sure where it would take me.  In fact, I didn't even know if it would last a month.  And yet here I am over a year later, dutifully writing five posts a week about what it's like to run, swim and live with diabetes.  Along the way I've made a few new friends, learned much more than I expected and discovered the camaraderie of the Diabetes Community.

Sometimes I think I share too much.  About the people in my life, about the things in my head.  Other times I think I don't share enough.  That I'm not being fair to people who tune in every day for updates.  You see, I share in my blog the way I share in Facebook.  Certain themes are an open book.  I will write about running without holding anything back.  I will write about diabetes and I never fudge the numbers or exaggerate the stories.  I write about what happened - period.  When it comes to exercise and diabetes you get the good, the bad and the ugly.  Because I think those two themes deserve 100% honestly.  To do anything less is unfair to the people who read.

Other topics are kept well protected.  They never make news on my Facebook wall.  They never make even a mention in my blog.  Not because they're bad, not because I'm ashamed or hiding stuff.  Just because I'm very protective.

Of the people I love the most.

Of their privacy.

And therefore of my privacy.

I'm sure a lot of bloggers censor what they write - I sure hope they do anyway.  Not every reader out there is good and kind and they should not have unfettered access to our lives.  I don't think the world at large should have access to my innermost thoughts or my life's challenges.  So I censor.

Dear readers - you don't know what you don't know so you don't know how much of my life I share and how much I don't.  You take what I write at face value and you comment and return day after day to see how I'm doing, to learn a little more and to perhaps find some inspiration for your own lives.

My promise to you:  I promise that, while I may not write about every part of my life, the things I do write about will be honest and true.

You deserve nothing less.

And thanks for coming along for the journey so far.  It's an honour to be in such fine company.

xoxo
Céline

No comments:

Post a Comment