Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Faerie Gifts

The last few days have been filled with experiences that seem almost magical for their rarity. 

First of all, I woke up in the wee hours on Sunday morning to a sound I haven't heard in weeks and weeks.  It took a few moments for me to register what was happening but finally the fog lifted and a picture formed.  It was...



...raining! 

The rain fell hard and showed no signs of stopping.  I listened to it for a while and then floated back to sleep wrapped in blankets and contentment.  Rain.

The next morning, we opened the door to a fresh clean world.  The temperature had dropped a few degrees, the world smelled like earth and everything looked shiny and new.  As we cycled through St. David's, past the cherry trees and peach orchards, the whole world seemed to be singing.

This morning I had another magical experience.  I opened the door at 5:30am, all set to run 10k and beat the heat (my new favourite phrase).  I walked outside and something felt different.  I couldn't quite place it.  Eveything looked the same as it did yesterday. 

Then I realized what it was. 

I felt comfortable.

I walked outside and did not walk smack into a wall of heat and humidity.  I walked outside and felt cool and comfortable. After last week's craziness, my body sighed with relief. 

It was a beautiful morning.  We've lost a few minutes of daylight since last week so I started the run in the dark.  Ten minutes in, the sun was peaking through the trees.  Today, the sight of the sun wasn't cause for concern or of panic.  It was just so beautiful to watch it come up.

Funny what a five degree drop in temperature can do to our physical and mental health isn't it?

1 comment:

  1. Hallelujah! I can't help but think (hope?) that with the end of the month a few days away, that the worst of the summer heat/humidity is over.

    ReplyDelete