Friday, July 15, 2011

A Change of Pace

I try really hard to be open minded about things.  I try not to assume that I'm right and 'they're' wrong.

Sometimes though, I get a shock because something I took for granted suddenly gets blown apart. When something that seems so obvious that it's not even worth thinking about turns out to be wrong - well, it messes with my head.

Geoff messed with my head.  He is my chiropractor who regularly saves my legs when they start acting up.  I went to see him yesterday.  I told him that I had been running well and virtually pain free for a few weeks.  Then, on Tuesday, things flared up.  Tight calves, shins, ankles, feet - the works.

We talked about what it could be. I told him that I had a great 20k long run last Saturday.  I confirmed that, as instructed by our coach, I slowed my pace by about 20-30 seconds per kilometre.  He smiled.  Ah ha!  That's probably the problem.

What?!?

In my world - the one full of rainbows, faeries and wizards - it makes complete sense that when you take it easy on a run, it's easier on your body.

It's a no brainer.

So I thought.

Geoff said that the slower a person runs, the longer their feet are in contact with the ground.  Therefore the more pressure on the body with each step.  In my case, it may have caused a flare up.

Seriously?

So my fall back plan of running more slowly when I'm hurting could actually be hurting me?

My world is shattered.

What else have I been doing ass backwards?

*sigh*

Moving on to cycling for a moment - has anyone been watching the Tour de France?

It has become an evening ritual and Doug and I sit glued to the television every night watching the race.

When it comes to running - I have been amazed, impressed, humbled and any other word you can think of when watching elite runners keep a pace for two hours that I couldn't sustain for 2 minutes.

But I know that, given the right motivation, I could hit their pace - even for a minute or two.

Cycling is different beast entirely.  These guys sustain a pace for hours that I can't even hit.  The other day they were cycling at 55km/hour.  For hours.  I don't even know how a human does that.  I've exerted myself to what feels like my max and can't hit 35km/hour - even for a second.  I barely hit 50k/hour on a downhill.

It's incomprehensible to me how they do it.  

And don't even get me started about how horrifying it is to watch them ride down a mountain at 80+km/hour.  Going around hairpin turns.  With no barricade to separate them from a horrible death.  It's normally at that point when they nonchalantly reach into their back pocket, grab a power bar, rip it open and start snacking.

I would be curled up in the fetal position by the side of the road crying - please don't make me ride down that mountain.  I'll die!

Lesson for today?  I need to run faster.  I need to cycle faster.

Someday I'm going to find myself a sport where going slowly is the objective.

Wouldn't that be a nice change of pace?

3 comments:

  1. Wah!!! Don't run faster, I'm so happy I was able to catch up to someone, even for 1 run. It's a tricky balancing act I find. Lately it's difficult to run at Nancy's slower pace so I'm running faster which feels easier, but if I want to go the distance (30+ k), that's exactly what I need to do (slow down) or else I'm toast at those distances

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find this interesting. During my run on Thursday I was thinking the same thing. There's a fine line between paces.
    it does make sense, in theory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Celine!

    I'm no runner, but just wanted to stop by and say that I'm proud of you and am very impressed. Exercise and type 1 diabetes is hard for so many reasons.

    Keep doing what you're doing! You're helping to shape a new world of information for the many that will come behind you! :-)

    ReplyDelete