Thursday, May 19, 2011

Strength in Weakness

I like to think that I am a strong person. 

I'm talking physically strong here - let's leave the emotionally strong discussion for another blog entry shall we?

I look at the evidence - my calves are pretty muscular, I can cycle up big hills without needing to get off my bike and I can run for a long time.  Ergo I'm strong.

My sense of logic then tells me that, if I'm strong, it should take more to hurt me than it takes someone who is less strong.  Making sense so far??

I like to think so too.

So how is it possible that wearing recovery sandals for a few hours each evening (most of which time is actually spent sitting) may be the cause of my shin and feet flare up, my rock hard, inflexible calves and my overworked massage therapist? Seriously folks?  I personally know plenty of people who will go from wearing winter boots to flip flops without a twinge.  I'm talking paper thin bottoms with tiny straps and a hard little thing between their toes kinda flipflops. They will spend the next few months wearing these sandals with absolutely no support and not require medical intervention.

So then why the hell do I break down if I put on support sandals rather than running shoes??  I even eased into them.  Fifteen minutes one day, twenty the next.  It's not like I put them on and hiked the Great Wall.  I was sensible about it.  Sensible about the Vibrams too.  I've been easing into them at a rate that would test the patience of a sloth. It's been a month and I still haven't run a step in them.

It boggles the mind.

Really it does.

So my dear legs, I solemnly swear that I will dutifully increase my stretching and icing routine, reduce my sandal and Vibram time, do exercises to strengthen my legs. And perhaps you in return could get yourself back on track. 

DO YOU REALIZE HOW MUCH I DO TO TAKE CARE OF YOU???

I'm sorry. That was uncalled for. I know I'm asking a lot of you and I know you are trying your best. I shouldn't have yelled.

Let's look at this weakness as an opportunity for strength.  I will redouble my efforts to be strong and yet flexible, I will try to listen more to what my body is telling me and ensure that it has what it needs in order to do what I need it to do. 

And I won't for one second give in to panic when I think about all the training I will have to do this summer to be ready for October.  We'll be fine.

Just

fine.

5 comments:

  1. Just

    fine.

    A phrase that most of us can certainly relate to, that's for sure!

    Well said! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do know that the introduction of Birkenstocks is what created my plantar fasciitis??? While I am sorry for your pain- I hear you and rejoice (sorry but it is true!!) that I have a friend crapping her pants about her fall run with me!! But I am more sorry than happy- you know that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh...I feel your pain. I actually literally feel the pain. Such a frustrating and seemingly hopeless thing at times. I keep count of the number of weeks we have to be ready for June 20....and I get a little panicky at times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I do get some comfort from knowing that I won't be the only member of the hobble-gang this summer. There is strength in numbers. We should get matching t-shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marathon Virgins unite! Well be hobbling along with you, or behind you rather. My SI joints act up with the mileage, Nancy has her constant aches as well. Hey, if it was easy, everyone would do it. How does that great quote go again: "Pain heals, chicks dig scars, but Glory lasts forever!" - Shane Falco.

    ReplyDelete