Thursday, May 26, 2011

Pump Adjustments and Hill Running

Well, I changed my infusion site yesterday and my blood sugar levels dropped back to almost normal.  Still running a little high but that means 8-9 rather than 17+ so I can't complain too much.  It will be nice when this post high headache I'm nursing decides to fly the coop.  

Despite my sugars heading back down to a less horrifying range, something still feels off.  I may be fighting a cold or something else might be kicking my liver into producing a little extra sugar.  Or it may be time to adjust my pump settings. 

That's always a little scary because, when I find something that works, it tends to work for a while.  I've had pretty consistently good sugars for a few months now so I'm not looking forward to messing with them. Fiddling with basal rates, correction rates and bolus calculations always makes things worse before they get better.  So I'm holding out another day to see if things settle - or if I start coughing and sneezing. 

On a happier note, I have a date tonight. A hill running date with Scully, my T1 running buddy.  We don't have to run hills.  It's not on any training schedule.  We could just head out along the canal path for a while and chat as we run.  But nope, we're doing hills...

...for fun.

It's supposed to be pouring rain just to add a little more adventure to the mix. 

I'm looking forward to it.  And so is she - despite her nervous sounding emails :)  It's always good to push ourselves a bit and it will be interesting to compare blood sugar reactions and heart rate fluctuations.  There aren't many people out there I can do both with.  I can hear the conversation already. 

Scully: "My blood sugar was 8.7 before and it's 7.4 after.  How was yours?" 

Celine: "Well, mine was 11.6 but my heart rate never went above 145.  Yours?"

Scully: "Mine hit 195!"

Celine: "Is that good?  I don't know if that's good. I still haven't figure out the heart rate thing. Gawd!"

So, if anyone spots two ladies with matching insulin pumps wrapped in ziplock bags running hills in the rain this afternoon - that would be us. 

And if it's not us, get their email addresses so that we can invite them to join our little group of nutters.

No comments:

Post a Comment