Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Playing the Diabetes Card

Having diabetes has its perks. 

Ever been to a venue (concert, museum or whatever) and had your bag searched.  Food confiscated?  Not me!  Mention the word diabetes and I can bring in whatever food I want. I bring in my friend's food too - who's gonna know?

Ever sat in a restaurant and waited forever for your order to arrive?  Not me.  All I have to do is say that I have diabetes, I've taken my insulin over 20 minutes ago and I really need to get my food.  Next order up?  Mine.

Extra drinks on the plane?  No problem.  I'm diabetic and I get really dehydrated.  Can I have an extra drink?  Two?  Thanks!

Remember last year's H1N1 scare and the incredible lineups to get the vaccine?  Remember when the clinics were only open to young children, seniors and those with compromised immune systems?  Yay, front of the line baby!

Ever had a complete stranger notice you from across the room, stroll over and say hi?  I have. All because they have an insulin pump too and want to share stories. I've also met complete strangers who were thinking about getting the pump and came over to ask me about it. 

Not sure what the menu is at the wedding you're attending or the conference you're at?  Find the chef and tell them you have diabetes.  You'll know the entire menu, right down to the type of pasta used and how many chocolate shavings are on the tiramisu, before anyone else in the room.  And you'll often get your food first because they know you gotta eat. 

I eat anywhere, anytime, with blatant disregard for the rules.  I've eaten standing on the curling ice in the middle of a game, during midnight mass, while making presentations, and directly under the "No Outside Food or Drink" signs in theatres and arenas.  I know, I know, I'm such a rebel.

Diabetes is part of my life and it's not going anywhere so I might as well enjoy the perks.  I don't play the diabetes card often but, when I do, it's pretty damn effective.

So remember, if you ever need someone to carry your peanut butter sandwich and bottle of juice through security, I'm your gal. 

1 comment:

  1. You write really well you know.

    I have played the D-card on occasion but not very often. I like to save the D-card for impromptu "sick" days.
    and totally with the "bag search" situation. they can't say squat!

    ReplyDelete