Friday, March 4, 2011

Gratitude

I received a late afternoon text from a high school friend.  She lives in Mississauga but was jumping into her car and heading down to Niagara.  She had just found out that another high school friend has cancer.

Terminal cancer.

There is a fundraiser tonight in Welland.  Apparently the high school community is rallying.  People I haven't seen since 1993 will be there.  I'm excited and yet extremely sad at the same time.

I called my father.  Before he retired, he was our high school principal and was much loved by the students.  Even the bad ones.  The ones who spent more time in detention than in class liked him even though he was the one to send them to detention.  My dad was fair and had a lot of respect for the students.  Without asking, he commanded the same respect from them.

I am sure faces will light up tonight when he walks in.

I am grateful to be able to go with him.

I am grateful that I am healthy and that my family and loved ones are healthy.

I am grateful for the opportunity to see my friends.  To be able to run 27k today.  To have so many heroes in my life.

I am just so very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment