Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What's in a name?

My ever vigilant sister sent me a link yesterday to an article in the Globe and Mail about Type 1 diabetes.  Most specificially, the article was about the name of this (my) chronic disease.  Apparently, there are some of us out there who don't like being lumped in with the Type 2s.

I get it. 

When I tell someone that I have diabetes I always add the Type 1 part because I don't want anyone to think that having diabetes might in any way be my fault.  How awful is that? There are plenty of Type 2s out there who have diabetes through no fault of their own but, as a group, the stereotype is: people who eat badly and don't exercise get Type 2.  I exercise, I eat well and I try really hard to stay healthy.  So I add the Type 1 part to my disease so that everyone knows that.  I think I need to stop doing that.

(Check out the Type 1 Diabetes article if you're interested.)

I wrote back to my sister and told her my proposed new name for this disease of mine:  Black Faerie Plague.  I think it sums up how I feel about it, with a touch of whimsy thrown in for good measure. 

I should probably back up a step and introduce myself. 

My name is Celine (with the accent aigu but it's giving me trouble so please imagine it's there until I can figure it out)
I have diabetes and wear an insulin pump
I'm a runner.  I love running.  I just started a new training program to be able to run the fabled Around the Bay Road Race at the end of March.  Yes folks, I will run 30k in 12 weeks.  I've run 22k before (well once) but have run 21.1 several times and have 6 finishers medals to prove it.

I've never blogged before and, in fact, have never read blogs before this week.  I just discovered a wonderful one and thought it might be fun to try.  Exercise, health, cooking adventures and books are probably what this blog is going to end up being about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment